When it’s hot as crap outside and the heat makes its way indoors, you have two options to combat reduced productivity and potential heat stress: crank up the A/C (and watch your energy use skyrocket) or get creative. Whether you have A/C or not, air movement from Big Ass Fans improves your body’s natural cooling mechanisms, keeping you happy, safe and productive. Plus Big Ass Fans can save massive amounts of energy by supplementing A/C or replacing dozens of high-speed floor fans. Here’s how it works:
Stay Cool. Increase Productivity and Safety.
The Fonz was extremely productive. Know why? He stayed cool. (Ayyyyyy.) The hotter it gets, the less productive you are – studies show productivity begins to decrease by about 1 percent for every degree the temperature rises above 77°F. *Besides being bad for the bottom line, heat stress can take a heavy human toll. Symptoms of heat stress range from rash and dizziness to fainting and death. In 2006 alone, there were 3,100 reports of heat illness so serious it resulted in days away from work, according to the U.S. Office of Compliance. The same year, 44 heat-related occupational fatalities were reported. That’s why maintaining thermal comfort in these conditions is important. Nothing improves thermal comfort better than air movement. While air movement does not lower the actual temperature, it creates a wind-chill effect as the breeze passes over our skin that can make us feel up to 10°F (6°C) cooler. Think about how good it feels when you’re working outside, all hot and sweaty, and a breeze rolls in. Big Ass Fans are like that, but all the time.
HOW MUCH ARE YOU LOSING?
Want to see how much Big Ass Fans can save you in the summer by reducing your productivity loss? Use our nifty productivity calculator to find out.
* Seppänen, O., Fisk, W. J. and Lei, Q. H. 2006.
Improve AC Efficiency
We all love our air conditioners. That’s obvious. Americans spend up to 70 percent of their summer electricity bills on air conditioning. All that juice adds up to $11 billion a year in the residential sector alone, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. That’s more than the yearly operating budget of about a dozen states. And in the commercial sector, space cooling accounts for anywhere from 10 to 25 percent of energy use, depending on the type of business.
Fans improve the efficiency and effectiveness of air conditioning in several ways. For starters, generating a few degrees of cooling from an energy-efficient fan will allow you to raise your thermostat set point a few degrees and stay just as comfortable. For every degree you raise your thermostat, you can save 3 to 6 percent on cooling costs. Additionally, the temperature isn’t the same everywhere in any building – it’s colder by the vent, it’s hotter by a large window, and so forth. Fans mix the air creating complete uniformity, allowing the thermostat to read the actual temperature in the space, not just the temperature by the thermostat.
Speaking of thermostats, in commercial spaces, no temperature is ideal for everyone, requiring facility managers to set strict rules about adjusting the thermostat, or locking it out altogether. With Big Ass Fans, employees can adjust the speed of the fan without creating a huge energy suck.
- “Big Ass Fans move the air, and it’s so much more comfortable. In Oklahoma, the temperature is over 100 all summer long. I would say the fans have made that warehouse feel 15 degrees cooler.”
– Bobby Saunders, Director of Manufacturing, Braum’s Ice Cream and Dairy
- “Summers down here can be tough. Before buying Big Ass Fans, there wasn’t much we could do about the heat, but this summer has been a different story. The fans help a lot and are worth every penny.”
- Paul Cates, Owner, Paul Cates Stable
- “The great thing about Big Ass Fans is that they generate savings in both summer and winter. In Ontario, that means potential for both electric and natural gas rebates. The rebates alone paid for more than one-third of the total retrofit for this distribution center.”
- Dan Modestino, Energy Incentive Rebate Manager, Staples Distribution Center
- “Two Big Ass Fans can keep guests cool in the middle of summer throughout the entire patio. I would absolutely recommend the fans for any sports bar or outdoor facility that wants to circulate a lot of air.”
- Gavin McLaughlin, Manager, Carolina Ale House
You need the right tools to fight this battle against health hazards, dropping productivity and rising energy bills. Big Ass Solutions has a full line of air movement monsters to help you feel more comfortable and increase A/C efficiency. From mobile and mounted task fans for pinpoint cooling, to HVLS fans that move large amounts of air efficiently, we’ll custom-tailor an air movement solution for you space. Give us a call at 877-244-3267, or drop us an email, to speak with a Big Ass Solutions Expert.